Fixing package descriptions

Pavol Rusnak prusnak at opensuse.org
Wed Nov 10 05:07:03 PST 2010

On 09/11/10 17:12, Jorge O. Castro wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> At the Ubuntu Developer Summit I was made aware of efforts to make
> package descriptions suck less for users. Here's what we have so far:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter/PackageDescriptions
>
> I was made aware that openSUSE and Debian were also interested in
> improving these descriptions, so I thought I'd start a thread on what
> efforts each distribution has made in this area and if there's any
> places where we could share work on this as there's plenty of overlap
> here. Thanks!

How about creating a simple git repo on freedesktop, which will contain
files <packagename>.<ext> (<packagename> being the name of the package
and <ext> one of the format we decided to use to: yaml, xml, json).
Different names in distributions could be solved very easily by symlinks
(e.g. gtk+2.0->gtk2 ). If someone wants to she could create webservice
for this, but IMO for most cases git checkout should do just fine.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravom,

Pavol RUSNAK                                       SUSE LINUX, s.r.o
openSUSE Boosters Team                            Lihovarska 1060/12
PGP 0xA6917144                                         19000 Praha 9
prusnak[at]opensuse.org                               Czech Republic