Results of the App Installer Meeting

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hp.com
Thu Jan 27 06:49:50 PST 2011

Samuel Verschelde said on Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 03:36:20PM +0100:
> Le jeudi 27 janvier 2011 15:30:31, Richard Hughes a écrit :
> > On 27 January 2011 13:53, Samuel Verschelde <stormi at laposte.net> wrote:
> > > Another way to do it without making the xml file grow too much would be
> > > to have one xml file containing only package descriptions per language.
> > > It uses some space on mirrors, but not that much (especially because the
> > > number of applications is really smaller than the number of packages).
> >
> > I thought we agreed it would be better to have all the languages in
> > one file, rather than having 130 files all with a few k of text
> > inside? Lots of tiny files really hurts read and write performance.
> > (130*number of repos installed = thousands)
> >

> Another thing to keep in mind is that users usually use only 2 languages on
> their computers : their mothertongue and english when there's nothing better
> available.

I still think that Linux is a multi-user system. So I know univ where
they do install lots of native language support, because the systems are
indeed used by lots of different native speakers.

Just hope that whatever choice is made, it won't prevent that usage.

Bruno.
--
Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com
HP/Intel/Red Hat Open Source Solutions Initiative  / http://www.hpintelco.net