Results of the App Installer Meeting

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 27 07:27:55 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 16:20 +0100, Samuel Verschelde wrote:

> We could just say "try to keep a reasonable size, not more than a page of
> text", and then it will depend on the application and who contributes the
> description (which we still don't know :))

The above will be an issue for however this content is going to be
created. If it is going to be by-users then there is going to be a bunch
of junk in there, almost w/o a doubt. If one of the goals of the
app-stream metadata is to have a bit of 'curation' of the offerings of
any given repo, then controlling what ends up in this metadata will be
more important.

With that in mind restricting what horrible things the content providers
can stuff into these files will make it easier to be strict in what
comes out in the file.

ie: txt only, no non-unicode inputs (look at some of the stuff put into
rpm descriptions sometime, it'll make you cry).

Constricting options now will help you forestall additional complexity
and problems until this project is more established and being used.

-sv