[gsoc2011] PackageKit integration for Ubuntu Software Center

Matthias Klumpp matthias at nlinux.org
Fri Jun 3 04:54:55 PDT 2011

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 13:36:07 +0300, Alex Eftimie <alex at rosedu.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Matthias Klumpp <matthias at nlinux.org>
> wrote:
>> Do you use Ubuntu or Debian? The GI support is currently enabled for
the
>> PackageKit version in Debian experimental. With the new PK 0.6.14
upload,
>> it will also be in unstable (pkg will be there today or tomorrow).
>> You can simply install gir1.2-packagekitglib-1.0 then. (Debian packages
>> work on Ubuntu too) As an alternative, you can try the daily builds of
PK
>> from my PPA at [1].
>> You can find PKs documentation in packagekit-docs (and then in your
>> Devhelp) or at [2]. Then PyG should do the rest.
>> If there are any problems with the GIR itself, feel free to contact me,
>> as
>> I have a strong interest in a high-quality GIR too ;-) (I use it
together
>> with Vala)
>> If you need changes in any PackageKit package on Debian/Ubuntu or if
you
>> need some quick package builds, you can also always ask me. (For
example
>> splitting up the GNOME-PackageKit package might be a good idea because
>> parts of it could be useful for USC too, like the session dialogs)
>
> (one month later reply)
>
> Thank you, I have installed them in both ubuntu natty (via ppa) and
> debian wheezy, I'm now at the point where I'm trying to figure out how
> to use[1] them[2].
>
> hugsie pointed me to the packagekit client source code (in C), but I
> would really appreciate some highlevel (vala or Python) source code
> examples :-).
There are really less high-level examples, since most Pk clients are
written in C or C++ at time.
For my Vala project, I use the sync PK API, you definitely want to use the
async stuff :P
(And there's less code for this..)
But if you have questions ("How can I do this..."), just ping me on IRC,
then I could write some Vala example code for this or just point you to the
PK API method if I know it :)
Regards,
  Matthias

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/packagekit/2011-June/006323.html