r127 w/ KMS on PPC?

Dave Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Wed Apr 21 14:55:45 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 22:36 +0100, Alex Buell wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 16:02 -0400, Matt Turner wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Alex Buell <alex.buell at munted.org.uk> wrote:
> > > Does the r128 dri driver supports KMS in the kernel on PPC? I've a G3
> > > iMac 600 here working very well with OpenGL but was wondering if it
> > > could support KMS, in which case it would be quite nice.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > There's been some talk about an r128 KMS driver, but nothing has been
> > done that I know of.
>
> I'd like to step up for that, it'd let me learn a lot. I have already
> extracted the r128 and its DRI from the 2.6.32 kernel tree and built
> them as modules and they both work just fine, with the binary firmware.
> What's involved in making KMS work on PPC? I'm sure I need the KMS
> helpers and the TTM module as well right?

For r128, it could actually re-use a lot of the radeon KMS code, in fact
nearly all of it.

Alex Deucher started doing a UMS merge of radeon/r128 at one point
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/xf86-video-ati/log/?h=r128-support

the main things would be adding the differences in the bios parsing, and
modesetting paths to KMS first.

Dave.