RV630 KMS PM info on tables requested

Klaus Doblmann B.A. klaus.doblmann at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 10:53:34 PDT 2010

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:42:05 -0400
Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 5:35 AM, Klaus Doblmann B.A.
> <klaus.doblmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I sent this to Alex a few days ago but felt I should post it on this
> > list as well:
> >

> You might want to check the address you used as I never got the email.

Hi Alex,
weird, I double-checked and I sent it to the address you replied from...

> > I've been testing radeon KMS PM with 2.6.34-rc* for a few days now and
> > I wanted to send you my testcase. Even though PM is enabled, the
> > defaults of my card are somewhat insane so no real powermanagement
> > takes place - i.e. the card doesn't get clocked down. is there any way
> > to force the card to use a different setting where less power is being
> > consumed?
>
> The current code doesn't handle a lot of cases properly.  Please try
> my latest patch set against Dave's drm-next tree:
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/pm3/
> It allows you to enable dynamic pm or force a static power mode via sysfs.
>
> Alex

Will do so at the end of the week when (hopefully) 2.6.34-rc6 is out
and I have mor etime on my hands.
Could you a bit more explicit on how I could set a static power mode
via sysfs? I've never worked with sysfs before so some hints would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Klaus

PS: On another note, is the KMS PM code supposed to work with r100
chips (Mobility 7500)? I've tried it yesterday and the machine (IBM
T40) hardlocks when loading GDM (Ubuntu 10.04, 2.6.34-rc5 without any
additional patches).

> > Thanks!
> >
> > Klaus

[...]