Intel graphics CPU usage - SDVO detect bogosity?

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun Aug 15 19:32:15 PDT 2010

I started wondering why 'top' was showing an otherwise idle system as
having a load average of 0.5+, and worker threads constantly using the
CPU.

So I did a system-wide profile, and got the attached output (look at
it in a really wide terminal).

There seems to be something _seriously_ wrong with i915 SDVO detect.
This is on an Apple Mac Mini (hey, your favorite problem child!), and
apparently it spends 20% of its non-idle CPU time just doing udelay's
for the i2c SDVO connection detection.

That sounds a bit wrong, doesn't it?

I don't know how recent this is - it might have been going on for some
time without me noticing. It's the wife's computer, and the same thing
doesn't seem to happen on my Core i5 desktop

Any ideas? Any information I can give about the machine?

                        Linus