DRI/DRM profiling for performance analysis?

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Mon Aug 16 00:22:35 PDT 2010

Hello,

Do we currently have a method of profiling DRI/DRM drivers?

I was thinking that it would be interesting to:

1) Execute a benchmark, or some "timedemo" of a game
2) See how many times each dri/drm driver function is called,
   maybe top 20 most often called functions,
   and the total cpu time used for those functions.

So you could see that:

1) some function is called often, but it doesn't take much total cpu time.
2) some function is called just a couple of times, but it takes a lot of cpu time.

And everything in between.. would be good hints to use for optimizing the apps/drivers,
and for comparison between different versions..

Does this make sense?

-- Pasi