Freescale Linux BSP review

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Tue Dec 14 05:15:50 PST 2010

On Tuesday 14 December 2010, Eric Miao wrote:

> >> Until there is a solution with an open source user space part, I would
> >> suggest that the driver better be dropped from the Freescale BSP and
> >> we should at least not waste time reviewing it.
> >
> > I think it is beneficial for us to integrate the kernel part into our Linaro
> > tree, so that we can build/use it together with the kernel image. As for the
> > user space libraries, how about adding them into the hwpack? (Is there any
> > legal issue for this?)
>
> I think so, there's normally a rule if free redistribution is allowed
> or not, even it's closed source.

Well, it can be in the hardware pack, I guess, but I don't think we
should even consider including the driver in the Linaro kernel:

The rule is that we only include code that is on an upstream track
(i.e. merged in an -rc or -next release), which this one clearly
is not at the moment, as Dave Airlie has made quite clear.

We could have a git tree containing all the questionable graphics
drivers (amd, sgx, mali) that rely on proprietary user space libraries,
and allow these to be built against the Linaro kernel, but it needs
to be quite clear that this is in not part of our project.

	Arnd