VERY slow scrolling on radeon graphics card: debugging a timing issue?

Mark Hounschell markh at compro.net
Thu Dec 23 04:53:11 PST 2010

On 12/23/2010 02:25 AM, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Mit, 2010-12-22 at 05:55 -0500, Mark Hounschell wrote:
>>
>> I also see this very problem on several machines I have with radeon video.
>> For me the worst part is using vi in a konsole. Moving the cursor around
>> is so slow that I just can't use these machines directly and have to ssh
>> into them from another machine just to work on them.
>
> That's not the same problem as the one described by Michael, which is
> about the console on virtual terminals different from X.
>
> For your problem, try choosing a different font (a fontconfig one
> instead of a legacy X one) in konsole.

Hum, but I do in fact see the same thing he sees on a VT. A dmesg
command from a VT  takes around 20 seconds to display. The same in a
konsole takes a fraction of a second.
So your probably right that my vi problem in a konsole is a different
issue. I do see the same thing as the OP does though. I just figured
they were probably related.

Changing fonts doesn't change anything though. I normally use the "Misc
Console" font FWIW.

Regards
Mark