Closed source userspace graphics drivers with an open source kernel component

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 00:27:05 PDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Magnus Wendt <magnus.wendt at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/7/2 Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com>
>>
>> ARM Mali - not sure what is going on there, I;m going to go with no
>> hope but would be nice to be proved wrong
>
> So far no user space but at least kernel space is available under GPLv2
>
> http://www.malideveloper.com/drivers.php

So its as crap as the others since the kernel space is uninteresting
and doesn't give you any idea how to actually use the GPU, its just a
slightly intelligent shim which transfers command streams and
interrupt to/from gpu/userspace.

Its like having an ELF loader but no source to the compiler or linker,
and saying the CPU is open.

Dave.