[RFC] flink_to

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Mon Jul 12 07:59:08 PDT 2010

Ok, so the flink_to discussion rat-holed a bit on the binary blob
attachment issue.  But before we even get to that, there are a lot of
issues that I'd some feedback on as well.  There were a few bugs in
the patch that I've fixed, but I don't see the point in sending it out
again just yet, as I'd like to see if we can agree on some of the
higher level issues.

First of, I'm hoping we can  get this ready for the next merge window.
 The patch is written and I've tested it here with a libdrm test case
and am currently finishing the EGL support for this.  One change I
might want to do is to add a blob type argument to the ioctls so
userspace has a standardized way of indication what the format of the
data is.  That's a fairly simple change and the patch itself is simple
enough to begin with, so I don't expect a lot of tricky issues with
the implementation.

Along with the flink_to ioctl, I'm proposing that we drop the DRM_AUTH
requirement for accessing the gem ioctls.  Specifically, for intel,
I'm suggesting that we drop the DRM_AUTH requirement on

DRM_IOCTL_GEM_FLINK, DRM_IOCTL_GEM_OPEN,
DRM_I915_GEM_EXECBUFFDRM_I915_GEM_CREATE, ER,
DRM_I915_GEM_EXECBUFFER2,