Radeon 3650HD laptop LVDS lid open/closed detection problem

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Mon Jul 26 12:42:42 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 01:37:28PM -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:

> >> Your desktop session manager should check the lid status when it loads
> >> and attempt to do the right thing if there is an external monitor
> >> detected.
> >>

> > Ok.
> > So you think it's not a bug in the lid detection?
>
> Not sure.  That's handled by apci, not the video driver.  You can
> check it the lid is producing proper events by running:
> cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state
> with the lid open and closed.  The desktop manager decides what the
> policy is for the lid (blank display, suspend, turn off the connector,
> etc.).  It should also take into account other connected outputs, but
> I don't think it handles that too well at the moment.

Yes, the lid acpi stuff seems to work:

lid closed:
$ cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state
state:      closed

lid open:
$ cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state
state:      open

I also verified that the initial lid state is "closed" when
the lid has been closed all the time during system startup
and only external DVI display is in use.

(I modified /etc/rc5.d/S01sysstat to sleep+print+sleep
so I can check it during system startup before X starts).

When the lid is closed xrandr says "LVDS connected", is that correct?

I think LVDS actually is ON when lid is closed, since I can immediately
see everything when I open the lid.. correct colors etc.

So what's the component I should start looking at.. gnome-power-manager?
or something else?

Actually.. I just noticed that already in GDM prompt the internal LVDS
gets enabled/turned on, even when the lid is closed.. I think.

-- Pasi