[drm] [radeon] [3.1.4] slub memory corruption in drm_vblank_cleanup

batouzo batouzo at gmx.com
Wed Dec 14 09:49:03 PST 2011

On 12/14/2011 06:40 PM, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM, batouzo <batouzo at gmx.com> wrote:

> AMD develops and releases the ucode images.  No source is available.
>

>> This means that entire firmeware of GFX card is flashed on bootup?
>> Btw this is a form of virus protection you could say (or anyway such
>> firmware is volatile and lost on reboot?)
>
> The ucode is volatile and is lost on reboot.  The different ucode
> images are used for different things.  The PFP and ME ucode images
> provide the acceleration API and the RLC ucode is required to make the
> interrupt controller work.  On newer asics, the MC ucode is used for
> the gddr5 controller on the chip and is required to link train the
> memory so it will run at full speed.

Thanks for explanation.

I hoped using radeon and KMS I'm choosing the "good" (secure / FOSS
philosophy etc) solution, but it seems to not be the case then.

What should one do to have 100% opensource, maximally secure X on radeon
cards?
Maybe I should disable firmware to achieve this goal at cost of
performance - or may disabling firmware actually introduce any
security/stability problems?

Would Intel build-in card be better for this use? Any particular family?