Information resources

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Fri Feb 25 06:38:34 PST 2011

On 2/24/2011 6:03 PM, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> We don't have source of firmware, only nouveau is reverse engineering
> the nvidia one.

Then where does the firmware come from?  I've been glancing at the AMD
documentation for the R600 and I'd like to figure out why the firmware
seems to be running in an infinite loop without ever halting, and
driving the temperature of my card over 80 C, but I need the original
assembly code for that.

>> 2)  What is a "fence"?
>
> It's what it means, it tell the cpu when the gpu reached some point in
> command stream or resource usage so we know we can free or move memory
> that was previously in use. Or simply to know when gpu is done doing
> somethings.

So it is kind of like a barrier in the IO world?  You put a dozen
commands into the pipeline and then a fence, and when they all complete,
the fence gives you feedback so you know?