has the i915 "black screen" boot issue returned?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Jan 27 05:00:16 PST 2011

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Chris Wilson wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 07:12:03 -0500 (EST), "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Chris Wilson wrote:
> >
> > > The only missing detail is what connector is used for the display.
> > > Xorg.log or xrandr --verbose are the easiest.
> >
> >   i can supply those for the currently *successful* boot, is that
> > what you're asking?  because once we're into black screen territory,
> > there's not a whole lot i can tell you.
>
> Indeed. Fortunately the integrated hardware is unlikely to change between
> boots. But more interesting is if you can pin down the regressing commit.

  this commit seems to be fine:

commit abb72c828878a2c69b2cfb33ac30007c8ecd735e
Merge: 58bbf01 8e934db
Author: Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Jan 25 08:41:58 2011 +1000

    Merge branch 'drm-intel-fixes-2' of ssh://master.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke

    * 'drm-intel-fixes-2' of ssh://master.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ic
      drm/i915: Prevent uninitialised reads during error state capture
      drm/i915: Use consistent mappings for OpRegion between ACPI and i915
      drm/i915: Handle the no-interrupts case for UMS by polling
      drm/i915: Disable high-precision vblank timestamping for UMS
      drm/i915: Increase the amount of defense before computing vblank timestamp
      drm/i915,agp/intel: Do not clear stolen entries
      Remove MAYBE_BUILD_BUG_ON
      BUILD_BUG_ON: make it handle more cases
      module: fix missing semicolons in MODULE macro usage
      param: add null statement to compiled-in module params
      module: fix linker error for MODULE_VERSION when !MODULE and CONFIG_SYSFS=
      module: show version information for built-in modules in sysfs
      selinux: return -ENOMEM when memory allocation fails
      tpm: fix panic caused by "tpm: Autodetect itpm devices"
      TPM: Long default timeout fix
      trusted keys: Fix a memory leak in trusted_update().
      keys: add trusted and encrypted maintainers
      encrypted-keys: rename encrypted_defined files to encrypted
      trusted-keys: rename trusted_defined files to trusted
      drm/i915: Recognise non-VGA display devices

so moving on to the very next one, which logic suggests would be the
culprit.  back shortly if time permits.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca