i915 Sensors

Jeremy Bush contractfrombelow at gmail.com
Thu May 5 12:55:50 PDT 2011

Hello-

I'm trying to use lm-sensors with a core i3. I talked with a developer on IRC about sensors not working, and this is what he had to say:

13:39 khali: zombor: please put the full output of sensors-detect on pastebin
13:39 khali: I'll take a look
13:39 zombor: sure, hold on
13:42 zombor: khali: http://pastebin.com/KPLZbEkd
13:42 zombor: ive got an i3 machine with an asus H61 mobo
14:09 khali: zombor: oh well, it seems that one of the I2C buses on the i915 (graphics) adapter is seriously misbehaving
14:10 zombor: :(
14:10 zombor: yeah, graphics didnt even work until 2.6.38
14:10 khali: basically it claims there's an I2C chip at every possible address
14:10 khali: I've never seen this before
14:11 khali: as a result, the 2 chips for which we have the worse detection are detected
14:11 khali: but I'm 100% certain these are false positives
14:11 khali: I dropped the sbs detection this morning, BTW
14:11 khali: I guess I should do the same now for max6650, for good measure
14:12 zombor: ok, any timeline on planned support for i915?
14:12 khali: zombor: don't ask me, it has nothing to do with lm-sensors
14:13 khali: sensors-detect is just a victim of the bug, it's not responsible for it
14:13 zombor: whats it have to with then?
14:13 khali: you should report to the i915 driver maintainer
14:13 khali: Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk>
14:13 khali: and dri-devel at lists.freedesktop.org

So, I'm here to report this bug! I'm using kernel 2.6.38.

Jeremy