KMS cursor BO semantics

Thomas Hellstrom thellstrom at vmware.com
Fri Nov 4 15:59:11 PDT 2011

On 11/04/2011 11:49 PM, Maarten Maathuis wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 11:30 PM, Thomas Hellstrom<thellstrom at vmware.com>  wrote:

>>> On i915 we need the cursor in physical memory for some (old) platforms,
>>> which is seperate storage from the bo backing storage. So we have the same
>>> problem. We've solved it by intercepting pwrite ioctl calls and demanding
>>> that userspace only uses these for cursor updates. Is there a special
>>> reason you can't use such a driver-specific trick?
>>> -Daniel
>>>

>> We have something similar in use today: We snoop DMAs to hardware
>> cursor surfaces, but this gets a bit nasty when apps start to do hardware
>> render to cursor surfaces, and
>> we simply ignore that today.
>>
>> Furthermore,  maps rather than pwrites are the common usage-pattern for
>> buffer-backed cursors on vmwgfx, and while it's possible to dirty those
>> buffers based on page-faults, like we do with fb surfaces, we'd rather avoid
>> having to implement and maintain that.
>>
>> I'm not sure whether / how you handle the case of hardware render to cursor
>> surfaces on i915, but it seems to me like if a lot of drivers need to
>> implement driver specific "tricks" to meet the semantics of a generic
>> interface, we should perhaps consider specifying those semantics in a way
>> that helps avoid driver-specific workarounds?
>>
>> /Thomas

> As far as i know nouveau keeps an internal buffer object for the
> cursor and relies purely on the ioctl to copy the cursor into the
> actual cursor memory area. So why do you need tricks?

Because I have a hard time judging whether the Intel implementation
(needs tricks) or the Nouveau implementation (doesn't need tricks)
should define the semantics of the ioctl, although I would prefer we
could all agree on the "doesn't need tricks" semantics and put that down
in writing in the drm_mode.h header file.

/Thomas