drm pixel formats update

Tomi Valkeinen tomi.valkeinen at ti.com
Tue Nov 29 08:13:27 PST 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 13:10 +0100, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> To make it perfectly clear, I want to emphasize that I'm not trying to replace
> DRM, FBDEV and V4L2 with a new shared subsystem. What I would like to see in
> the (near future) is collaboration and sharing of core features that make
> sense to share. I believe we should address this from a "pain point" point of
> view. The one that lead me to writing this e-mail is that developing a driver
> that implements both the DRM and FBDEV APIs for video output currently
> requires various similar structures, and code to translate between all of
> them. That code can't be shared between multiple drivers, is error-prone, and
> painful to maintin.

We've been in the same situation with OMAP display driver for years. The
same low level display driver is used by FB, V4L2 and now DRM drivers,
so I didn't have much choice but to implement omapdss versions for
things like video timings and color formats.

I've been planning to write code for this almost as long as omapdss has
had this problem, but there's always been
yet-another-important-thing-to-do. So good that somebody finally brought
this up =).

I'm happy to test any code related to this with omapdss.

 Tomi