drm_fb_helper question

Ilija Hadzic ihadzic at research.bell-labs.com
Tue Oct 18 07:25:33 PDT 2011

While hacking something else, I stumbled upon two potential issues
in drm_fb_helper. Could someone who knows this better than me enlighten
whether the problem is realistic or whether I am overseeing something ?
If the problem is real (or a potential trouble waiting to happen), I have
cut some patches that address this and I can send them.

First, in  drm_fb_helper_init, the size of crtc_info allocated is for
crtc_count entries, the loop that populates crtc_info at the end of the
_init function scans the whole list of connectors. So if GPU specifies
crtc_count that is smaller than the total number of CRTCs, the loop will
overrun the allocated space and corrupt memory. Although no GPU driver in
current tree does that, I could imagine a GPU using the smaller number for
crtc_count if it does not want some CRTCs used for fbcon.

Second (similar in nature) problem is the loop at the end of
drm_setup_crtcs function that populates modeset->connectors array.
The size of that array is fb_helper->max_conn_count (which is specified by
the GPU driver and can be anything), while the the loop runs for
fb_helper->connector_count iterations which can include all available
connectors (per drm_fb_helper_single_add_all_connectors). So at least in
theory that loop can overrun the modset->connectors array and corrupt
memory too.

Both cases may be theoretical at this time, but they look like a trouble
waiting to happen (e.g., future GPUs may have a mix of CRTCs and
connectors that could evoke the described error). If those who know
better, agree with my analysis, I'll be glad to send some patchwork.

thanks,

Ilija