nouveau page_flip function implement not wait vblank, which cause screen garbage

Thomas Hellstrom thomas at shipmail.org
Thu Oct 27 01:44:52 PDT 2011

FWIW, there was a quite long discussion / argument when the page flip
ioctl was designed, and at that time
I pointed out that there are hardware capable of pageflipping using the
fifo/pipe with optional VSYNC barriers, and that it is actually possible
to queue up a number of pageflips in the fifo. Not just one.

The interface description in drm_mode.h is somewhat different to what
was agreed upon, namely:

1) The command submission mechanism should block if a user tries to
render to a not yet flipped frontbuffer, and that would cause rendering
problems. For hardware that flips using a fifo / pipe, that's not really
a problem. Thus, any rendering errors due to rendering to a
not-yet-flipped frontbuffer is a kernel driver error.
The user-space app can avoid being blocked waiting using events.

2) The interface in itself doesn't require flips to be synced to
vblanks, as I understand it.
  However, it should be possible to add a new flag
DRM_MODE_PAGE_FLIP_SYNC that tries to sync if at all possible.

/Thomas