Proposal for a low-level Linux display framework

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Sep 20 08:55:24 PDT 2011

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:29:23 +0200, Patrik Jakobsson <patrik.r.jakobsson at gmail.com> wrote:

> It would be nice to have a model that fits both DSI and SDVO, and the option
> to configure some of it from userspace.

> I thought the purpose of drm_encoder was to abstract hardware like this?

SDVO is entirely hidden by the drm_encoder interface; some of the
controls (like TV encoder parameters) are exposed through DRM
properties, others are used in the basic configuration of the device.

I'm not sure we need a new abstraction that subsumes both DSI and SDVO,
but we may need a DSI library that can be used by both DRM and other
parts of the kernel.

keith.packard at intel.com