[RFC 4/4] drm: Add NVIDIA Tegra support

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at avionic-design.de
Thu Apr 12 09:32:23 PDT 2012

* Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Thierry Reding
> >> Then again, having user-space control this may be more flexible. Performance-
> >> wise both should be about the same, right? What I don't quite understand yet
> >> is how the DMABUF would be synchronized on both ends. Is there some infra-
> >> structure to account for it or would I have to export two buffers and flip
> >> them during the vblank of the "consumer"?
> >
> > Performance should be about the same.  The tricky part is
> > synchronization.  dma_buf is for sharing.  There are ideas to make
> > generic sync objects, but for now, it's up to the userspace components
> > to handle it.
>
> Some example code:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2012-April/021182.html

I saw that post too and it looks really nice. From what you're saying there
really doesn't seem to be any advantage to making the connection in the DRM
framework. Using DRM PRIME seems like a promising option and it seems to have
quite a lot of momentum. Of course I'll need to get the DRM driver up and
running properly first.

Thierry