[RFC 4/4] drm: Add NVIDIA Tegra support

Jon Mayo jmayo at nvidia.com
Thu Apr 12 11:56:01 PDT 2012

On 04/11/2012 05:48 AM, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 02:10:30PM +0200, Thierry Reding wrote:
>> This commit adds a very basic DRM driver for NVIDIA Tegra SoCs. It
>> currently has rudimentary GEM support and can run a console on the
>> framebuffer as well as X using the xf86-video-modesetting driver.
>> Only the RGB output is supported. Quite a lot of things still need
>> to be worked out and there is a lot of room for cleanup.
>
> Indeed, after a quick look there are tons of functions that are just stubs
> ;-) One thing I wonder though is why you directly use the iommu api and
> not wrap it up into dma_map? Is arm infrastructure just not there yet or
> do you plan to tightly integrate the tegra drm with the iommu (e.g. for
> process space switching or similarly funky stuff)?
>
> Yours, Daniel

An abstraction to access iommu is preferable since Tegra2 and Tegra3 are
quite a bit different when it comes to iommu.

But so far I'm pretty pleased with the driver Thierry has done. I'm
hoping we can start using this as a base instead of the fb based driver
that never made it upstream. (even if I have had a bit of a debate about
GEM v. TTM v. ION v. ...)

- Jon