Hangcheck timer elapsed..

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Thu Dec 20 19:56:29 PST 2012

This thing isn't repeatable, and it can go days without happening, but
it has happened several times now over the last several weeks, to the
point where it is very annoying.

I get:

  [drm:i915_hangcheck_hung] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
  [drm] capturing error event; look for more information in
/debug/dri/0/i915_error_state
  [drm:i915_hangcheck_hung] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
  [drm:i915_reset] *ERROR* GPU hanging too fast, declaring wedged!
  [drm:i915_reset] *ERROR* Failed to reset chip.

and then I need to reboot, because restarting X just causes it to be
slow and unaccelerated.

I'm attaching the i915_error_state thing, although I suspect it's
useless, since I got it after an X restart. But maybe it shows why
even the X restart doesn't do anything.

This is a Westmere setup: it's a

  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU         670  @ 3.47GHz

and dmesg doesn't have anything interesting in it at all. Running
up-to-date Fedora 17.

Any ideas about anything in particular I can do to trigger it and help
debug it? There's usually nothing special going on when this happens.
This last one was during a kernel build, but the screen was actually
locked (and I don't even have a fancy screensaver, it's just a blank
black screen for me).

Other times, it's just normal desktop. Quite often it is during a
kernel compile, with loads in the 30+ range, so maybe it's triggered
by high loads resulting in some program not being hugely responsive
(maybe losing the drm state?) but quite frankly, I do a *lot* of
kernel compiles especially during the merge window, so the "it
happened during a kernel compile" is not necessarily indicative of any
deeper causation - it's just that compiling kernels is what I do ;)

I've gotten hangcheck timers over the years, but it really seems to
have been getting worse. Please help. If the reset worked and it would
clear up after I just logged out and back in again, that would already
be a big thing.

                  Linus