Expanding the use of DMA buffers in 3.3

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Jan 18 03:53:24 PST 2012

> in mind.  It would be unfortunate if restricting its use to only
> GPL-licensed modules caused dma-buf adoption to be limited.

You appear confused. I'll say this again is my lawyer advises me that for
the benefit of any future enforcement actions I should remind people
each time it comes up.

For a Linux kernel containing any code I own the code is under the GNU
public license v2 (in some cases or later), I have never given permission
for that code to be used as part of a combined or derivative work which
contains binary chunks. I have never said that modules are somehow
magically outside the GPL and I am doubtful that in most cases a work
containing binary modules for a Linux kernel is compatible with the
licensing, although I accept there may be some cases that it is.

Alan