Kernel Display and Video API Consolidation mini-summit at ELC 2012 - Notes

Marcus Lorentzon marcus.lorentzon at linaro.org
Fri Mar 2 07:56:47 PST 2012

On 2 March 2012 15:23, Heiko Stübner <heiko at sntech.de> wrote:

> Am Freitag, 17. Februar 2012, 00:25:51 schrieb Laurent Pinchart:
> [...]
> >   For DSI, a possible abstraction level would be a DCS (Display Command
> > Set) bus. Panels and/or HDMI-on-DSI transmitter drivers would be
> > implemented as DCS drivers.
> >
> >   Action points:
> >   - Marcus to work on a proposal for DCS-based panels (with Tomi
> Valkeinen
> > and Morimoto-san).
>
> It would also be interesting to see something similar for MIPI-DBI (type B
> for
> me) [aka rfbi on omap], as most epaper displays use this to transmit data
> and
> currently use half-baked interfaces.
>
> So hopefully I'll be able to follow the discussion and can then try to
> convert
> your findings to the dbi case.
>
> Heiko

The idea is to abstract the DSI/DBI-2 type of transport and focus on the
DCS command set level. The driver should be able to select between DBI and
DSI by providing some "struct dcs_device { ifc = DSI/DBI2, ... }" data to
the DCS bus.

Something like a stripped version of
www.igloocommunity.org/gitweb/?p=kernel/igloo-kernel.git;a=blob;f=include/video/mcde.h#l113,
but for DBI/DSI only.