i915 modeset memory corruption issues? (Fwd: Oops in ext3_block_to_path.isra.40+0x26/0x11b)

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Mar 16 16:24:35 PDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:

> We had a theory about hibernation -- unflushed FB writes that go astray
> when the pages underneath the GTT get reassigned when switching from the
> boot kernel to the resumed kernel.

Well, even without hibernation, one theory was about the VC switching
- apparently that was one thing that at least one reporter does end up
doing - switching from X into the virtual terminals and back.

That may have similar issues, and may be the deeper problem (do people
still do the VC switching *for* hibernation?)

Maybe.

                        Linus