[ANNOUNCE] kmscon: Lazy-web's DRM based terminal emulator

David Herrmann dh.herrmann at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 28 02:38:44 PDT 2012

Hi

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Ville Syrjälä
<ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 04:57:29PM +0200, David Herrmann wrote:
>> It needs some more work in the VTE layer and on the UI but it's
>> I had several issues while writing it but most of them are fixed. One
>> thing I remember is a performance
>> issue running it on my Intel Atom N450. With 80x24 it works barely
>> fine, but more glyphs per frame are are not
>> possible. I currently use one texture for every glyph I draw, that is,
>> one screen-update
>> draws 80x24 = 1920 textures.
>
> So you have a separate texture for each glyph? Doesn't sound very
> efficient. Did you try to use a texture atlas instead?

Drawing a 80x24 screen with just a single glyph has the same effect
even though this uses just a single texture which is drawn 1920 times.
So a texture-atlas does not help here. Any other ideas? I will give
pango-cairo a shot and see how well it performs. At least this runs
smooth with libvte inside X here.

> --
> Ville Syrjälä
> Intel OTC