drm/i915 3.5 merge window: gen6_sanitize_pm errors

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Fri May 25 00:20:22 PDT 2012

On Thu, 24 May 2012 19:27:04 -0700, Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> These guys seem to be recently introduced:
>
>   [drm:gen6_sanitize_pm] *ERROR* Power management discrepancy:
> GEN6_RP_INTERRUPT_LIMITS expected 17000000, was 12060000
>   [drm:gen6_sanitize_pm] *ERROR* Power management discrepancy:
> GEN6_RP_INTERRUPT_LIMITS expected 17070000, was 17000000
>
> This is on my SNB Macbook Air.
>
> Everything seems to *work*, which makes me think:
>
>  - that error isn't really so big a deal that you have to *SHOUT* about it.
>
>  - I wonder how valid the discrepancy checking code is to begin with.

Extremely, it is accurately telling us that only half of the patches
were applied...

After that when it does shout, it just saved your system. However, even
after fixing it to the best of our knowledge, it is still a far too
regular occurrence (playing video seems to have just the right
combination of turbo and rc6 to trigger it reliably) and even though it is
a calamity we do now expect it to be seen in the wild and so will reduce
the severity of the warning.
-Chris