i915: GPU hung (F14, Intel Core i5-670)

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Wed May 30 00:42:09 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 07:41:37PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 12:06 AM, Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > No, the i915_error_state had everything I needed to see. It is the old
> > ddx bug that was hardcoding a maximum relocation address that never
> > corresponded with an actual hw limit. As soon we try to use memory above
> > that value, the GPU decides not to listen to us any more.
> >
> > Fixed in xf86-video-intel 2.14.901
>
> I really don't think that's the case.
>
> I have run the F14 X server for a *long* time without these issues on
> this machine, and today I now got a second GPU hang with the current
> git tree. I was in the middle of just writing an email in chrome,
> nothing fancy going on at all.

Well, we've quite massively tuned our gpu address space handling in 3.5,
so it's a bit more likely to hit this problem. Relevant commits are
3ae5378330f5814
ffc62976d2158
dabdfe021ab1e985e

> So please please *please* take a second look. Because I think it's
> triggered by the i915 changes, or you undid a workaround that used to
> work fine.

Nope, and you've reported this exact problem previously already, e.g.

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.dri.devel/63082

Really, please upgrade your userspace - this is by far not the only bug
fixed since then that can result in a gpu hang.

Yours, Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Mail: daniel at ffwll.ch