-next trees

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Sep 26 10:00:36 PDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-09-25 at 13:47 -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:

> In the meantime, I would like to move the ball forward on this issue.
> As I see it, there 3 issues that have become conflated:
>
> 1.  The display (LG L246WP) is confused by *any* InfoFrames.

If this is still the case after applying:

commit adf00b26d18e1b3570451296e03bcb20e4798cdd
Author: Paulo Zanoni <paulo.r.zanoni at intel.com>
Date:   Tue Sep 25 13:23:34 2012 -0300

    drm/i915: make sure we write all the DIP data bytes

Then I suspect I'm compelled to agree that we need a quirk to forcibly
disable InfoFrames entirely.  I don't like to be difficult about this,
but the HDMI spec is quite clear that sinks _must_ accept InfoFrames
defined in either the CEA or HDMI specs, so if we're seeing that class
of failure I tend to strongly suspect our drivers first.

> 3.  drm_detect_monitor_audio is returning true for the LG L246WP, which
>      definitely doesn't have any audio capabilities.  This may be a bug
>      in the display's EDID, or it may be a parsing error.

The display is definitely a filthy liar then:

  Audio data block
    Linear PCM, max channels 1
    Supported sample rates (kHz): 48 44.1 32
    Supported sample sizes (bits): 24 20 16

Hooray for hardware.  Not sure what the logic should be for whether to
send HDMI audio or not, I'll re-read the appropriate scrolls.

- ajax