Status of exporting an fbdev framebuffer with dma_buf?

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Tue Apr 9 10:12:23 PDT 2013

Hi Tom,

On Tuesday 09 April 2013 12:21:08 Tom Cooksey wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Last year Laurent posted an RFC patch[i] to add support for exporting an
> fbdev framebuffer through dma_buf. Looking through the mailing list
> archives, it doesn't appear to have progressed beyond an RFC? What would be
> needed to get this merged? It would be useful for our Mali T6xx driver
> (which supports importing dma_buf buffers) to allow the GPU to draw
> directly into the framebuffer on platforms which lack a DRM/KMS driver.

The patch was pretty simple, I don't think it would take lots of efforts to
get it to mainline. On the other hand, fbdev is a dying API, so I'm not sure
how much energy we want to spend on upgrading it. I suppose all that would be
needed is a developer with enough interest in the topic to fix the patch
according to the comments.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart