[RFC 0/2] exynos5250/hdmi: replace dummy hdmiphy clock with pmu reg control

Sylwester Nawrocki s.nawrocki at samsung.com
Wed Jul 31 05:11:37 PDT 2013

Hi Rahul,

On 07/31/2013 01:23 PM, Rahul Sharma wrote:
>>> I think your hdmiphy pmu patch is good enough just if dt binding for pmu

>> > I can surely do that but, I am worried about hdmiphy control bus.
>> > change In 5420. It is changed to platform bus from i2c. Isolating
>> > hdmiphy from hdmi driver seems the only clean method to handle
>> > control bus change, changed phy configurations and power control
>> > through PMU bit.
>> >
>> > To fix broken hdmi for 5420, I can again post the "hdmiphy
>> > separation patches" to place hdmiphy driver in DRM. Later we can
>> > migrate to Generic Phy Framework.
>> >

> Hi Seung Woo, Mr. Dae, Sylwester,
>
> What you say on this? Shall I separate hdmiphy in following manner:
>
> 1) Move all phy related code to hdmiphy driver i.e. exynos_hdmiphy.c
> 2) hdmiphy driver exposes power_on/off and set_pixel callbacks for
> hdmi driver.
> 3) let hdmi driver behave as phy controller for hdmiphy.
> 4) move PMU bit control to hdmiphy driver, instead of hdmi driver.
>
> This way we will be very close to generic phy framework implementation
> and migration to generic phy framework will be just a cakewalk.

This all sound good to me, it seem natural to put the HDMI PHY
functionality into a separate module. Hardware-wise the PHY is quite
separate and as experience shows different PHYs can be attached to
same controller. Well, we have well known that before...

I'm not sure what the problem is with adding subsystem specific
classes of operations (set of callback) to the generic PHY API, until
that gets sorted out your approach looks good to me.

As a side note, originally the V4L2 driver exposed the HDMI PHY
as struct v4l2_subdev object, have a look at drivers/media/platform/
s5p-tv/hdmiphy_drv.c. And in case of exynos5 we would just have
created a platform driver for the HDMI PHY which would expose same
subdev interface. So something similar as you proposed above.

Regards,
Sylwester