[i915] Backlight brighter since 3.9.0

Jan Hinnerk Stosch janhinnerk.stosch at gmail.com
Fri May 17 15:39:14 PDT 2013

Hallo,

I hope this is the right place to ask, because I actually don't know
whether it is a bug or a feature that I'm experiencing since linux 3.9:
When I boot my system the backlight gets extremely bright compared to older
kernel versions. It is most obvious when I leave X (more a yellow than a
black background), but I have the impression, that the colors in X are
brighter than usual, too.
I used my spare time this afternoon to do a kernel bisect and learned that
the first "bad" commit is 55bc60db5988c8366751d3d04dd690698a53412c. As I
don't have insight or understanding of the code: Is this behaviour intended
and how could I change it to the old state or is it a bug and should I
report it somewhere?
My system is as follows:
Intel i5-3570k with Intel HD 4000
my monitor is connected via HDMI.
If you need any more information just tell me.

Thanks in advance,

jhs