picking efifb driver over dri driver

David Herrmann dh.herrmann at gmail.com
Mon May 27 11:09:13 PDT 2013

Hi

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Christopher Harvey <charvey at matrox.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for the mechanism in the kernel that makes the decision to
> load the efifb driver over a dri one. Any tips? I've got a machine here
> that loads efifb and prevents dri drivers from loading.

If you want to use efifb over DRM drivers, you must unload the DRM
drivers or blacklist them. The kernel is designed to prefer real
hardware drivers over generic fallbacks (like efifb, vesafb, ...).

See ./drivers/video/fbmem.c remove_conflicting_framebuffers(). This is
called by DRM drivers to kick out any conflicting fbdev drivers.

Cheers
David