[RFC V2 0/3] drm/bridge: panel and chaining

Sean Paul seanpaul at chromium.org
Mon May 12 09:00:29 PDT 2014

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 3:06 AM, Andrzej Hajda <a.hajda at samsung.com> wrote:
> On 05/09/2014 05:05 PM, Ajay kumar wrote:

>>> So I do think we need to stick to this all-or-nothing approach for
>>> anything that is visible to userspace
>>> (drm_{plane,crtc,encoder,connector}).  We don't currently have a way
>>> to "hotplug" those so I don't see a real smooth upgrade path to add
>>> that in a backwards compatible way that won't cause problems with old
>>> userspace.
>>>
>>> But, that said, we have more flexibility with things not visible to
>>> userspace (drm_{panel,bridge}).  I'm not sure how much we want to
>>> allow things to be completely dynamic (we already have some hard
>>> enough locking fun).  But proposals/rfcs/etc welcome.
>>>
>>> I guess I'm not completely familiar w/ ptn3460, but the fact that it
>>> needs to implement drm_connector makes me a bit suspicious.  Seems
>>> like a symptom of missing things in drm_panel_funcs.  It would be
>>> better to always create the connector statically, and just have
>>> _detect() -> disconnected if panel==NULL.
>
> ptn3460 has been implemented using drm_bridge and drm_connector, not by
> me, to be clear :)

Right, that was me.

> And to make it more clear from what I see ptn3460 exposes following ops:
> - pre_enable (via drm_bridge).
> - disable (via drm_bridge),
> - get_modes (via drm_connector).
> Other ops are exposed just to fulfill requirements of drm frameworks, I
> guess.

Also detect().

>> This is something which only Sean can answer!
>> I guess he implemented ptn3460 as connector thinking that bridge would
>> be the last
>> entity in the video pipeline. If that's a real problem, we can still
>> move out the
>> connector part.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ajay
>
> The question is how it can be implemented using only drm_bridge.

It was originally implemented this way. Check out the original
drm_bridge patch and discussion here:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2013-August/043237.html.

The tl;dr is: If you don't implement the connector as part of the
bridge, you need to hack detect_connection() in drm_crtc_helper to
either go to the existing connector (which, btw will be the incorrect
connector type), or the bridge if there's one connected. That, or the
existing connector needs to know about the bridge's existence and call
into it for detect() and get_modes(). In the second case, the existing
connector will probably also be the wrong connector type.