[GIT PULL FOR v3.19] R-Car DU changes

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 13:35:44 PST 2014

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Lars-Peter Clausen <lars at metafoo.de> wrote:
> On 11/24/2014 09:01 PM, Dave Airlie wrote:

>>> The intel sdvo looks just like a simple I2C mux which will just
>>> pass-through
>>> messages from the master to the EDID EEPROM. The ADV7511 is unfortunately
>>> bit different. You tell it to fetch the EDID information, then it will do
>>> some magic and then you can read the EDID back. Abstracting this as a
>>> this
>>> as a I2C controller will, while possible, result in a fair amount of
>>> boiler
>>> plate code that will not look particularly pretty.
>>

>> It sounds also a bit like DP auxch also, or even how on UDL we get the
>> edid
>> over USB.
>>
>> I'd rather see not pretty code that only one person had to look at though
>> :-)
>> with lots of comments on the hw design that demands ugly.
>

> I'd rather not see that if I'm the person who has to look at it ;)
>
> But looking around it appears as if this is a more common thing among
> external HDMI encoders though. E.g. the tda998x has the exact same issue and
> the current driver just copy&pastes drm_do_get_edid() and plugs in its own
> EDID block retrieval method.
>
> On the other hand the patch that makes it possible to use a different
> backend then a raw I2C adapter to fetch the EDID is extremely trivial and
> doesn't make the existing code more complex in any way.

I suppose the only real disadvantage of the patch is it gives driver
writers a bad alternative in cases where they really should expose
their ddc as an i2c_adapter.. but perhaps we should just handle that
via sufficient review ;-)

(I have seen enough downstream drivers that could use i2c_adapter but do not..)

BR,
-R