AMD GPU new API for new module

Jerome Glisse j.glisse at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 01:02:57 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 09:54:14AM +0300, Oded Gabbay wrote:
> Hi Jerome,
>
> Do you think your proposed change should also be applied to amdkfd's
> IOCTLs ?

It might make sense it really depends on the lifespan you expect for
amdkfd, do you expect that you will need substential API evolution
during that timespan or do you foresee that the currently propose API
is good enough.

The thing i am proposing here is really to address the issue of IOCTL
needing fixes because new generation of GPU requires new informations
or do not care about old and now meaningless informations. The radeon
ioctl sets is a testimony to the fact that we can not predict what kind
of broken API we expose and have to leave with.

My proposal is really about allowing to evolve each ioctl in what i
believe to be the simplest and cleanest way to do it while still
preserving backward compatibility ie i expect that old version of
an ioctl will continue to live in there own functions untouch and
unlove but still working. While new development can move to updated
ioctl.

Other solution would be to just keep adding new ioctl but i fear we
might run out of ioctl number.

Cheers,
Jérôme