Question on UAPI for fences

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Fri Sep 12 06:23:22 PDT 2014

Hello everyone,

to allow concurrent buffer access by different engines beyond the
multiple readers/single writer model that we currently use in radeon and
other drivers we need some kind of synchonization object exposed to
userspace.

My initial patch set for this used (or rather abused) zero sized GEM
buffers as fence handles. This is obviously isn't the best way of doing
this (to much overhead, rather ugly etc...), Jerome commented on this
accordingly.

So what should a driver expose instead? Android sync points? Something else?

Please discuss and/or advise,
Christian.