[RFC] Explicit synchronization for Nouveau

Lauri Peltonen lpeltonen at nvidia.com
Fri Sep 26 03:00:05 PDT 2014

Hi guys,

I'd like to start a new thread about explicit fence synchronization.  This time
with a Nouveau twist. :-)

First, let me define what I understand by implicit/explicit sync:

Implicit synchronization
* Fences are attached to buffers
* Kernel manages fences automatically based on buffer read/write access

Explicit synchronization
* Fences are passed around independently
* Kernel takes and emits fences to/from user space when submitting work

Implicit synchronization is already implemented in open source drivers, and
works well for most use cases.  I don't seek to change any of that.  My
proposal aims at allowing some drm drivers to operate in explicit sync mode to
get maximal performance, while still remaining fully compatible with the
implicit paradigm.

I will try to explain why I think we should support the explicit model as well.

1. Bindless graphics

Bindless graphics is a central concept when trying to reduce the OpenGL driver
overhead.  The idea is that the application can bind a large set of buffers to
the working set up front using extensions such as GL_ARB_bindless_texture, and
they remain resident until the application releases them (note that compute
APIs have typically similar semantics).  These working sets can be huge,
hundreds or even thousands of buffers, so we would like to opt out from the
per-submit overhead of acquiring locks, waiting for fences, and storing fences.
Automatically synchronizing these working sets in kernel will also prevent
parallelism between channels that are sharing the working set (in fact sharing
just one buffer from the working set will cause the jobs of the two channels to
be serialized).

2. Evolution of graphics APIs

The graphics API evolution seems to be going to a direction where game engine
and middleware vendors demand more control over work submission and
synchronization.  We expect that this trend will continue, and more and more
synchronization decisions will be pushed to the API level.  OpenGL and EGL
already provide good explicit command stream level synchronization primitives:
glFenceSync and EGL_KHR_wait_sync.  Their use is also encouraged - for example
EGL_KHR_image_base spec clearly states that the application is responsible for
synchronizing accesses to EGLImages.  If the API that is exposed to developers
gives the control over synchronization to the developer, then implicit waits
that are inserted by the kernel are unnecessary and unexpected, and can
severely hurt performance.  It also makes it easy for the developer to write
code that happens to work on Linux because of implicit sync, but will fail on
other platforms.

3. Suballocation

Using user space suballocation can help reduce the overhead when a large number
of small textures are used.  Synchronizing suballocated surfaces implicitly in
kernel doesn't make sense - many channels should be able to access the same
kernel-level buffer object simultaneously.

4. Buffer sharing complications

This is not really an argument for explicit sync as such, but I'd like to point
out that sharing buffers across SoC engines is often much more complex than
just exporting and importing a dma-buf and waiting for the dma-buf fences.
Sometimes we need to do color format or tiling layout conversion.  Sometimes,
at least on Tegra, we need to decompress buffers when we pass them from the GPU
to an engine that doesn't support framebuffer compression.  These things are
not uncommon, particularly when we have SoC's that combine licensed IP blocks
from different vendors.  My point is that user space is already heavily
involved when sharing buffers between drivers, and giving it some more control
over synchronization is not adding that much complexity.

Because of the above arguments, I think it makes sense to let some user space
drm drivers opt out from implicit synchronization, while allowing them to still
remain fully compatible with the rest of the drm world that uses implicit
synchronization.  In practice, this would require three things:

(1) Support passing fences (that are not tied to buffer objects) between kernel
    and user space.

(2) Stop automatically storing fences to the buffers that user space wants to
    synchronize explicitly.

(3) Allow user space to attach an explicit fence to dma-buf when exporting to
    another driver that uses implicit sync.

There are still some open issues beyond these.  For example, can we skip
acquiring the ww mutex for explicitly synchronized buffers?  I think we could
eventually, at least on unified memory systems where we don't need to migrate
between heaps (our downstream Tegra GPU driver does not lock any buffers at
submit, it just grabs refcounts for hw).  Another quirk is that now Nouveau
waits on the buffer fences when closing the gem object to ensure that it
doesn't unmap too early.  We need to rework that for explicit sync, but that
shouldn't be difficult.

I have written a prototype that demonstrates (1) by adding explicit sync fd
support to Nouveau.  It's not a lot of code, because I only use a relatively
small subset of the android sync driver functionality.  Thanks to Maarten's
rewrite, all I need to do is to allow creating a sync_fence from a drm fence in
order to pass it to user space.  I don't need to use sync_pt or sync_timeline,
or fill in sync_timeline_ops.

I can see why the upstream has been reluctant to de-stage the android sync
driver in its current form, since (even though it now builds on struct fence)
it still duplicates some of the drm fence concepts.  I'd like to think that my
patches only use the parts of the android sync driver that genuinely are
missing from the drm fence model: allowing user space to operate on fence
objects that are independent of buffer objects.

The last two patches are mocks that show how (2) and (3) might work out.  I
haven't done any testing with them yet.  Before going any further, I'd like to
get your feedback.  Can you see the benefits of explicit sync as an alternative
synchronization model?  Do you think we could use the android sync_fence for
passing fences between user space?  Or did you have something else in mind for
explicit sync in the drm world?

Thanks,
Lauri

Lauri Peltonen (7):
  android: Support creating sync fence from drm fences
  drm/nouveau: Split nouveau_fence_sync
  drm/nouveau: Add fence fd helpers
  drm/nouveau: Support fence fd's at kickoff
  libdrm: nouveau: Support fence fds
  drm/nouveau: Support marking buffers for explicit sync
  drm/prime: Support explicit fence on export

--
1.8.1.5