about mmap dma-buf and sync

Thomas Hellstrom thellstrom at vmware.com
Mon Aug 24 22:25:47 PDT 2015

Hi,

On 08/24/2015 07:56 PM, Michael Spang wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Thomas Hellstrom <thellstrom at vmware.com> wrote:
>> On 08/24/2015 07:12 PM, Daniel Stone wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Sure, though in that case best to replace x with line_byte_offset or
>>> something, because otherwise I guarantee you everyone will get it
>>> wrong, and it'll be a pain to track down. Like how I managed to
>>> misread it now. :)
>> OK, yeah you have a point. IMO let's go for your proposal.
>>
>> Tiago, is this OK with you?
> Is there any obstacle to making the above API a new syscall?

I think that whether this API can be accepted as a syscall or not is
really up to Dave and in the end Linus.
What speaks against is that it's not applicable to all file types, only
dma-bufs and also that we might want to extend
it in the future.

> The reason we have issues with ioctls is because it's not possible to
> whitelist them properly with seccomp BPF - there's no single namespace
> for ioctls.
>
> If this API is merged as a ioctl, we may not be able to actually use
> it. Which is a bit unfortunate when it has been proposed with the
> chrome renderer use case in mind.

I don't think mmap() on dma-bufs can be accepted as a _generic_ API
without a mandatory sync mechanism, and I think there is a need to
specify a sync api regardless of who is the first user.

Thanks,
Thomas