[ADV7393] DRM Encoder Slave or DRM Bridge

Vikas Patil vikasmpatil at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 12:25:51 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 4:30 PM, Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen at ti.com> wrote:
> On 22/09/16 16:22, Vikas Patil wrote:
>
>> Could you help me to understand if I could use “interlace=false”?
>> ADV7393 seems to be supporting non-interlaced mode. From datasheet:
>> “The ADV7390/ADV7391/ADV7392/ADV7393 support an SD noninterlaced mode.
>> Using this mode, progressive inputs at twice the frame rate of NTSC
>> and PAL (240p/59.94 Hz and 288p/50 Hz, respectively) can be input into
>> the ADV7390/ ADV7391/ADV7392/ADV7393. The SD noninterlaced mode can be
>> enabled using Subaddress 0x88, Bit 1.”
>
> Difficult to say... So OMAP4+ DSS hardware does support interlace output
> for DPI. The driver has never supported it, nor do I have any hardware
> to test it. It might be quite easy to add, though.

If it is easy and doable then could you describe what I need to do to
support it?

> If I read the above snippet right, to use progressive input, the DISPC
> needs to output at double refresh rate. So probably what you would have
> to do is in ADV driver, you have your set_timings function, where you
> should double the pix clock before you pass the timings forward to the
> DISPC's DPI driver.

I have configured ADV7393 chip in following mode with the timing below
in connector-analog.tv.c. With this I am seeing continuous flicker
with nothing on display (black screen) and sometime could see the
kmscube but it seems it renders in four quadrant(i.e. once in each
quadrant). I have also tried doubling the pixel clock from 27MHz to
54MHz in timing for non-interlaced mode of ADV7393 but with it also
nothing on display and continuous flicker.

Do you know what might be going wrong? What should I look for to fix this?

** ADV config:
- 16-bit SD RGB input
- NTSC mode
- YPrPb component output (CVBS)
- non-interlaced mode

** Timing configured in in connector-analog.tv.c

static const struct omap_video_timings harman_ntsc_timings = {
        .x_res          = 720,
        .y_res          = 480,
        .pixelclock     = 270000000,
        .hsw            = 62,
        .hfp            = 19,
        .hbp            = 57,
        .vsw            = 3,
        .vfp            = 10,
        .vbp            = 34,

        .vsync_level    = OMAPDSS_SIG_ACTIVE_HIGH,
        .hsync_level    = OMAPDSS_SIG_ACTIVE_HIGH,
        .interlace      = false, /*true */
};

I am using this panel to test [1]

[1] www.amazon.in/CROCON-Digital-Monitor-Reverse-Display/dp/B019WC6QFY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1474453575&sr=8-7&keywords=Car+display