Cleanup of -Wunused-const-variable in drivers/gpu/drm/msm/disp/dpu1/dpu_formats.c

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at linux.intel.com
Fri Jun 14 09:46:44 UTC 2019

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019, Nathan Huckleberry <nhuck at google.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm looking into cleaning up ignored warnings in the kernel so we can
> remove compiler flags to ignore warnings.

Wholeheartedly agreed on the goal.

> There are several unused variables in dpu_formats.c
> ('dpu_format_map_tile', 'dpu_format_map_p010',
> 'dpu_format_map_p010_ubwc', 'dpu_format_map_tp10_ubwc').
> They look like modifiers that were never implemented. I'd like to
> remove these variables if there are no plans moving forward to
> implement them. Otherwise I'll just leave them.
>
> https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/linux/issues/528

No opinion on the said variables above, but, FWIW, personally I think
it's fine to add the cflags to supress warnings locally where needed in
order to be able to achieve the greater goal of removing the cflags
globally.

In drivers/gpu/drm/i915/Makefile we actually go for much stricter
warnings than the kernel defaults, and disable a more limited and
tailored set of warnings.

You can do this both on a subdir and file level with subdir-ccflags-y
and CFLAGS_filename.o, respectively.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center