Questions about KMS flip

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Wed Nov 10 10:18:02 UTC 2021

Am 08.11.21 um 15:59 schrieb Daniel Vetter:
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 08:44:24AM +0100, Christian König wrote:

>>> Yup plane state holds reference for its entire existing (well this holds
>>> in general as design principle for atomic state structs, just makes life
>>> easier). And the plane state is guaranteed to exist from when we first pin
>>> (prepare_fb plane hook) to when it's getting unpinned (cleanup_fb plane
>>> hook).
>>>
>>> Out of curiosity, what's blowing up?
>> The TTM pin count warning. What happens is that we try to free up a BO while
>> it is still being pinned.
>>
>> My best guess is that some DMA-buf client is doing something wrong, but it
>> could of course also be that the BO was pinned for scanout.
> We check in dma_buf_release whether there's anything left over, so I think
> the dma-buf scenario is rather unlikely.

That was unfortunately only added quite recently and is currently
backported to older kernels.

> I guess worst case we could add a cookie struct to dma_buf_pin that you
> need to pass to dma_buf_unpin, and wherein we can capture a backtrace. Or
> maybe implement that in ttm even. Otherwise I don't have good ideas.

I was thinking about something similar for ttm_bo_pin().

BTW: How would I do that? I know that dump_stack() prints the current
stack trace into the system log, but how would I get this as string?

Thanks,
Christian.