AMDGPU - What is correct combination of kernel CONFIG options?

Chris Rankin rankincj at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 17:51:19 UTC 2021

Hi,

I am trying to compile a Linux 5.15 kernel with the amdgpu driver for
a Radeon RX 6600. For reference, Fedora's 5.15.4-201.fc35.x86_64
kernel appears to work for me and be stable, and so I am confident
that my hardware is OK, even if my motherboard is quite old (PCIE 2.0,
I believe). However, I am struggling to configure a stable amdgpu
driver for a 5.15.x kernel of my own, and suspect that I have missed
at least one significant CONFIG setting.

My amdgpu module has all the same module dependencies as the Fedora
kernel, and my kernel boots as far as the GNOME login screen, but then
the GNOME desktop fails to appear and my dmesg log fills with messages
about failing to start the parser.

My .config file currently includes:

CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU=m
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK=y
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_USERPTR=y

CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC=y
CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC_DCN=y
CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC_HDCP=y
CONFIG_DRM_AMD_SECURE_DISPLAY=y
CONFIG_HSA_AMD=y
CONFIG_HSA_AMD_SVM=y

CONFIG_DRM_AMD_ACP=y

and I have also added:

CONFIG_AMD_IOMMU=y
CONFIG_AMD_IOMMU_V2=m

Are there any other (say) CONFIG_AMD_xxx options I need which I have
missed please? My motherboard has an Intel CPU and so I have not
included AMD config options by default.

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. AFAIK I shouldn't need AMDGPU_CIK for my RX 6600, but have kept
it so that I can still swap back to an older card if necessary.