DSI Bridge switching

Jagan Teki jagan at amarulasolutions.com
Tue Oct 12 07:38:08 UTC 2021

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 12:51 AM Jagan Teki <jagan at amarulasolutions.com> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 9:32 PM Dave Stevenson
> <dave.stevenson at raspberrypi.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 at 14:37, Laurent Pinchart
> > <laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com> wrote:

> > > It may be in the category of "you shouldn't do this, but it actually
> > > works". I've seen the same being done with two CSI-2 camera sensors
> > > connected to the same receiver, with one of them being held in reset at
> > > all times.
> >
> > Surely the correct way to do this would be with a D-PHY mux chip such
> > as OnSemi FSA642 [1] or those from Diodes Incorporated [2].
> > How you'd integrate such a mux into DRM is a totally different question.
> > With V4L2 and CSI2 it'd be relatively simple via Media Controller.
> >
> > Just wiring them together isn't going to work very well for DSI
> > reverse direction communication, but neither of the chips Jagan lists
> > support this.
>
> Sorry to mention it before, we have two 2:1 MIPI D-PHY Switch [1] on
> the design which take 2 data-lanes and clock from Host and produce 4
> data-lane and 1 clock to connect to ADV7535 and SN65DSI84 bridges. The
> switch has OE, SEL pins to select the desired to MUXed lanes/clock
> routing to an appropriate bridge.
>
> I think supporting the switch in the pipeline or logic that handle the
> bridge switching might help.

MIPI Switch (PI3WVR626) has OE, SEL logic to select respective data
and clock lanes which are routed to bridge/panel. I think, these OE
and SEL logic can be part of pinmux so we can configure them on
respective bridge/panel nodes pinctrl (atleast on imx8m) instead of
handling them as separate nodes.

Jagan.