Implement svm without BO concept in xe driver

Zeng, Oak oak.zeng at intel.com
Wed Aug 16 03:47:58 UTC 2023

Hi Felix,

It is great to hear from you!

When I implement the HMM-based SVM for intel devices, I found this interesting problem: HMM uses struct page based memory management scheme which is completely different against the BO/TTM style memory management philosophy. Writing SVM code upon the BO/TTM concept seems overkill and awkward. So I thought we better make the SVM code BO-less and TTM-less. But on the other hand, currently vram eviction and cgroup memory accounting are all hooked to the TTM layer, which means a TTM-less SVM driver won't be able to evict vram allocated through TTM/gpu_vram_mgr.

Ideally HMM migration should use drm-buddy for vram allocation, but we need to solve this TTM/HMM mutual eviction problem as you pointed out (I am working with application engineers to figure out whether mutual eviction can truly benefit applications). Maybe we can implement a TTM-less vram management block which can be shared b/t the HMM-based driver and the BO-based driver:
   * allocate/free memory from drm-buddy, buddy-block based
   * memory eviction logics, allow driver to specify which allocation is evictable
   * memory accounting, cgroup logic

Maybe such a block can be placed at drm layer (say, call it drm_vram_mgr for now), so it can be shared b/t amd and intel. So I involved amd folks. Today both amd and intel-xe driver implemented a TTM-based vram manager which doesn't serve above design goal. Once the drm_vram_mgr is implemented, both amd and intel's BO-based/TTM-based vram manager, and the HMM-based vram manager can call into this drm-vram-mgr.

Thanks again,
Oak