[RFC 00/33] Add Support for Plane Color Pipeline

Harry Wentland harry.wentland at amd.com
Tue Aug 29 19:26:19 UTC 2023

+CC Naseer and Chris, FYI

See https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/123024/ for whole series.

On 2023-08-29 12:03, Uma Shankar wrote:
> Introduction
> ============
>
> Modern hardwares have various color processing capabilities both
> at pre-blending and post-blending phases in the color pipeline.
> The current drm implementation exposes only the post-blending
> color hardware blocks. Support for pre-blending hardware is missing.
> There are multiple use cases where pre-blending color hardware will
> be useful:
> 	a) Linearization of input buffers encoded in various transfer
> 	   functions.
> 	b) Color Space conversion
> 	c) Tone mapping
> 	d) Frame buffer format conversion
> 	e) Non-linearization of buffer(apply transfer function)
> 	f) 3D Luts
>
> and other miscellaneous color operations.
>
> Hence, there is a need to expose the color capabilities of the hardware
> to user-space. This will help userspace/middleware to use display
> hardware for color processing and blending instead of doing it through
> GPU shaders.

Thanks, Uma, for sending this. I've been working on something similar
but you beat me to it. :)

> [...]
> AMD's Plane Color Implementation: https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/116862/
>

> Hackfest conclusions
> ====================
>
> HDR/Color Hackfest was organised by Redhat to bring all the industry stakeholders
> together and converge on a common uapi expectations. Participants from Intel, AMD,
> Nvidia, Collabora, Redhat, Igalia and other prominent user-space developers and
> maintainers.
>
> Discussions happened on the uapi expectations, opens, nature of hardware of multiple
> hardware vendors, challenges in generalizing the same and the path forward. Consensus
> was made that drm core should implement descriptive APIs and not go with prescriptive
> APIs. DRM core should just expose the hardware capabilities; enabling, customizing and
> programming the same should be done by the user-space. Driver should just honor
> the user space request without doing any operations internally.
>
> Thanks to Simon Ser, for nicely documenting the design consensus and an UAPI RFC
> which can be referred to here:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/dri-devel/QMers3awXvNCQlyhWdTtsPwkp5ie9bze_hD5nAccFW7a_RXlWjYB7MoUW_8CKLT2bSQwIXVi5H6VULYIxCdgvryZoAoJnC5lZgyK1QWn488=@emersion.fr/
>

> Design considerations
> =====================
>
> Following are the important aspects taken into account while designing the current RFC
> proposal:
>
> 	1. Individual HW blocks can be muxed. (e.g. out of two HW blocks only one can be used)
> 	2. Position of the HW block in the pipeline can be programmable
> 	3. LUTs can be one dimentional or three dimentional
> 	4. Number of LUT entries can vary across platforms
> 	5. Precision of LUT entries can vary across platforms
> 	6. Distribution of LUT entries may vary. e.g Mutli-segmented, Logarithmic,
> 	   Piece-Wise Linear(PWL) etc
> 	7. There can be parameterized/non-parameterized fixed function HW blocks.
> 	   e.g. Just a hardware bit, to convert from one color space to another.
> 	8. Custom non-standard HW implementation.
> 	9. Leaving scope for some vendor defined pescriptive implementation if required.
> 	10.Scope to handle any modification in hardware as technology evolves
>
> The current proposal takes into account the above considerations while keeping the implementation
> as generic as possible leaving scope for future additions or modifications.
>
> This proposal is also in line to the details mentioned by Simon's RFC covering all
> the aspects discussed in hackfest.
>

> Outline of the implementation
> ============================
>
> Each Color Hardware block will be represented by a data structure drm_color_op.
> These color operations will form the building blocks of a color pipeline which
> best represents the underlying Hardware. Color operations can be re-arranged,
> substracted or added to create distinct color pipelines to accurately describe
> the Hardware blocks present in the display engine.

Who is doing the arranging of color operations? IMO a driver should
define one or more respective pipelines that can be selected by
userspace. This seems to be what you're talking about after (I haven't
reviewed the whole thing yet). Might be best to drop this sentence or to
add clarifications in order to avoid confusion.

> In this proposal, a color pipeline is represented as an array of
> struct drm_color_op. For individual color operation, we add blobs to advertise
> the capability of the particular Hardware block.
>
> This color pipeline is then packaged within a blob for the user space to
> retrieve it.

Would it be better to expose the drm_color_ops directly, instead of
packing a array of drm_color_ops into a blob and then giving that to
userspace.

> To advertise the available color pipelines, an immutable ENUM property
> "GET_COLOR_PIPELINE" is introduced. This enum property has blob id's as values.
> With each blob id representing a distinct color pipeline based on underlying HW
> capabilities and their respective combinations.
>
> Once the user space decides on a color pipeline, it can set the pipeline and
> the corresponding data for the hardware blocks within the pipeline with
> the BLOB property "SET_COLOR_PIPELINE".

When I discussed this at the hackfest with Simon he proposed a new DRM
object, (I've called it a drm_colorop) to represent a color operation.
Each drm_colorop has a "NEXT" pointer to another drm_colorop, or NULL if
its the last in the pipeline. You can then have a mutable enum property
on the plane to discover and select a color pipeline.

This seems a bit more transparent than a blob. You can see my changes
(unfortunately very WIP, don't look too closely at individual patches) at
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/hwentland/linux/-/merge_requests/5/diffs

libdrm changes:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/hwentland/drm/-/merge_requests/1/diffs

IGT changes:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/hwentland/igt-gpu-tools/-/merge_requests/1/diffs

I'll take time to review your whole series and will see whether we can
somehow keep the best parts of each.

Curious to hear other opinions on the blob vs new DRM object question as
well.

> Refer to Documentation/gpu/rfc/plane_color_pipeline.rst added in the patch
>
> IGT and test details
> ====================
>
> A set of IGT tests is written to demonstrate the usage of the proposed UAPIs
> along with some sanity validation.
>
> Details of the IGT test can be found here:
> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/123018/
>
> Opens
> =====
>
> a. To come up with a list of common HW blocks which can be defined generically by the DRM
>     core in agreement with all the stakeholders
> b. To enhance/finalize the data structure to define segmented LUTs generically.

It would be good to add some basic support in VKMS. My work has been
based on VKMS. Once we kinda settle on an approach I'll look at exposing
the AMD private properties from Melissa through the API.

> Out of Scope
> ============
>
> a. The coefficients for CTM and LUT value calculations are out of scope of the proposal.
> b. The onus of programming the HW blocks and their values is on user-space. Driver will
>     just provide the interface for the same.
> c. In order to compute LUT values and coefficients, a helper library can be created in
>     user-space. However, it is out of scope for the current proposal.
>
> Acknowledgements and credits
> ============================
>
> There are multiple contributors who have helped us to reach to this proposal. Special mention
> to Ville Syrjala<ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com>, Pekka Paalanen<pekka.paalanen at collabora.com>,
> Simon Ser<contact at emersion.fr>, Harry Wentland<harry.wentland at amd.com>,
> Melissa Wen<mwen at igalia.com>, Jonas<jadahl at redhat.com>, Sebastian Wick<sebastian.wick at redhat.com>,
> Bhanu<bhanuprakash.modem at intel.com> and Shashank<shashank.sharma at amd.com>.
>
> Also, thanks to Carlos <csoriano at redhat.com> and the Redhat team for organizing the HDR hackfest.
>

> UAPI dependency and Usermode development
>
> The current KMS implementation requires a user space consumer for it to be accepted upstream.
> Work is ongoing in weston and mutter community to get color management and HDR support implemented
> in the respective stacks.

If we can get AMD properties encoded using a Color Pipeline API we can
probably use gamescope as the userspace vehicle.

I'm reviewing this in sequence, so there's a chance I'm missing context.
Please bear with me if some of my comments are answered later in the series.

Again, thanks for sending this.

Harry