Refcounting in drm_exec

Thomas Hellström thomas at shipmail.org
Thu Aug 31 15:12:02 UTC 2023

Hi, Christian, Danilo

Looking at the drm_exec code it seems we refcount *all* locked objects
until drm_exec_fini(). Are callers supposed to be able to *rely* on
this? I'm asking because refcounting appears only strictly necessary for
contended- and prelocked objects, and callers would otherwise need to
make sure they don't drop a locked object across the lock? It's going to
be pretty hard to change this in the future if we want for added
efficiency if people start to rely on it.

Also seems drm_exec_unlock_all() drops the prelocked object without
unlocking. I'll put together a patch.

Thanks,

Thomas'